Well, it’s that time of year again…with just eight days to go in 2012 we genealogy bloggers sometimes
brag write about what a great job we did in meeting our goals for the year. Then we usually come up with another list of genealogy-related fun things to do next year. I’m no exception…I’ve been doing the same for the last few years myself. But if I spell out this year’s goals and talk about how well – or not – I did at meeting them, I’d feel a bit ridiculous since, well…I didn’t quite get to most of them. Let’s just say my priorities changed throughout the year. But hey, it’s that time of year, so let me at least provide you with my TOP 12 REASONS I DIDN’T MEET ALL OF MY 12 GENEALOGY GOALS FOR 2012!
12. The world was supposed to be over by now…
11. Uh, some of my lofty goals were a bit too hard. I mean, what was I thinking? Twelve goals?
10. Several of my most inspirational long-time genealogy blogging friends (you all know who you are) took a blogging leave of absence and left me uninspired as a result. (Please come back!!!!!)
9. I was distracted by shiny things and spent too much of my free time reading my Pointer sister’s voluminous tweets.
8. I introduced the next generation to the wonder that is Star Wars.
7. I cheated on Facebook by having an actual real live social network.
6. I spent a whole lot of time watching all 77 episodes of Leverage multiple times with great delight.
5. I was too stressed trying to complete the weekly Family History Through the Alphabet Challenge.
4. I still give up on translating Polish records that are written in Russian in under five minutes.
3. I bribed my genealogy-goal buddy, Lisa Alzo, with a case of slivovitz to stop bugging me about my progress.
2. I found out a lot of other great genealogy facts this year that weren’t on my 2012 wish list.
1. Occasionally hanging out with live relatives is more fun that looking for dead ones.