Welcome to the Bergmeister Family Page on the What’s Past is Prologue genealogy blog. This page will show the detailed family tree information for other Bergmeister researchers. My particular Bergmeister line begins in 1689 in a small town in Bavaria called Puch, which is located not far from Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm north of Munich (München).
The Bergmeister Ancestors
Note: As this page is intended to attract cousins (other descendants of these individuals), the only children listed for older generations are those that survived to adulthood. The infant mortality rate was very high in the 18th and 19th Century.
Generation No. 1
1. Martin Bergmeister was born in 1689 in or near Puch, Bavaria. He married Ursula Poernbeck [b. 1685 d. 05 May 1755] on 16 February 1736. Martin died on 01 September 1752. Note: information on Martin and Ursula provided by family in Germany and has not yet been confirmed in the Puch parish records.
Children of Martin Bergmeister and Ursula Poernbeck:
( 2 ) i. Johann Paul Bergmeister, b. 25 Feb 1721 (see Generation 2)
I have not yet identified other children of this couple.
Generation No. 2
2. Johann Paul Bergmeister was born on 25 February 1721 (or 1724) in Puch, Bavaria. He married Maria Schwiger [b. 04 July 1727 to Anton and Maria, d. 10 April 1813] on 03 July 1753. Paul died on 29 May 1784 in Puch. Paul was a miller.
Children of Paul Bergmeister and Maria Anna:
( 3 ) i. Joseph Bergmeister, b. 25 Feb 1763 (see Generation 3)
ii. Lorenz Bergmeister, b. 1765
iii. Mathias Bergmeister, b. 1769
Generation No. 3
3. Joseph Bergmeister was born 25 February 1763 in Puch, Bavaria. On 30 November 1800 he married Kreszens Zinsmeister [b. 01 April 1776, daughter of Jakob Zinsmeister and Josepha, d. 08 June 1852] in Puch. Joseph died on 25 August 1840 in Puch, Bavaria. Joseph was a miller.
Children of Joseph Bergmeister and Kreszens Zinsmeister:
i. Joseph Bergmeister, b. 02 March 1803
( 4 ) ii. Jakob Bergmeister, b. 20 March 1805 (see Generation 4)
iii. Johann Martin Bergmeister, b. 11 March 1812
iv. Johann Simon Bergmeister, b. 05 October 1814
Generation No. 4
4. Jakob Bergmeister was born 20 March 1805 in Puch, Bavaria. On 02 June 1835, he married Anna Maria Daniel [b. 24 June 1812 in Niederscheyern, Bavaria, daughter of Dionys Daniel and Walburga Schober, d. 02 February 1871] in Puch. Jakob died on 18 September 1870 in Puch. Jacob was a miller.
Children of Jakob Bergmeister and Anna Maria Daniel:
i. Michael Bergmeister, b. 15 August 1837 in Puch, Bavaria, m. Magdalena in 1866 in Puch.
( 5 ) ii. Joseph Bergmeister, b. 09 February 1843 (See Generation 5)
iii. Castulus Bergmeister, b. 25 February 1845 in Puch, Bavaria, m. Viktoria Haeckl in 1867, d. 01 May 1912 in Pfaffenhofen a.d. Ilm, Bavaria
Generation No. 5
5. Joseph Bergmeister was born on 09 February 1843 in Puch, Bavaria. On 11 April 1871 he married Ursula Dallmaier [b. 17 March 1847 in Aichach to Joseph Dallmaier, an innkeeper, and Ursula Eulinger, died after 1913 probably in Regensberg] in Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm, Bavaria. Joseph’s death date is unknown, but he died before 1885 based on his wife’s subsequent marriage and children. Joseph’s wife Ursula re-marries Herman Goetz of Regensberg and had at least two sons (Herman and Julius). Joseph was a flour merchant and spent time in Munich.
Children of Joseph Bergmeister and Ursula Dallmaier:
i. Hilaury Bergmeister, b. 12 January 1870 near Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm, Bavaria. Immigrated to the US in 1888. Married Maximilian Thuman [b. 12 June 1857 Regensburg, d. 26 November 1941 in Philadelphia, PA] in 1896 in Philadelphia, PA. Hilaury died 06 February 1943 in Philadelphia, PA.
ii. Maria Bergmeister, b 17 November 1871. It is unknown if Maria survived infancy.
( 6 ) iii. Joseph Bergmeister, b. 12 February 1873 (See Generation 6)
iv. Ignatz Nicholas Bergmeister, b. 23 April 1876. Immigrated to the US in 1904. Married Therese Frank [b. 1880 in Germany to Wolfgang Frank and Catharina Meyer] in New York City on 09 June 1907. Ignatz Nicholas died sometime between 12 Sep 1918 and 07 Jan 1920 leaving two young children, Charles and Theresa.
Generation No. 6
6. Joseph Bergmeister was born on 12 February 1873 in Vohburg an der Donau, Bavaria. On 02 November 1897, he married Maria Echerer [b. 27 February 1875 in Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm, Bavaria, to Karl Echerer and Margarethe Fischer, d. 05 February 1919 in Philadelphia, PA, USA] in Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm. Joseph immigrated to the US in 1900. Marie and daughter Marie immigrated in 1901. The family settled in Philadelphia. Joseph died in Philadelphia on 30 May 1927. Joseph was a baker.
Children of Joseph Bergmeister and Maria Echerer:
i. Maria Bergmeister, b. 27 February 1898 in Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm, Bavaria, d. 18 March 1990 in Philadelphia, PA
ii. Joseph Max Bergmeister, b. 16 April 1902 in Philadelphia, PA, d. 02 November 1986, m. Helen Pardus ( 1904-1988 )
iii. Maximilian Julius Bergmeister, b. 7 May 1905 in Philadelphia, PA, d. ?, m. Sophia Kaczar
iv. Julius Carl Bergmeister, b. 16 June 1907 in Philadelphia, PA, d. ?, m. Frances Mistera
v. Margaret Hermina Bergmeister, b: 11 April 1913 in Philadelphia, PA, d. 14 January 1998, m. James Pointkouski (1910-1980)
The Bergmeister Descendants
Generation No. 7, 8, 9, 10
As of today, there are at least 87 descendents of Joseph and Marie Bergmeister living throughout the United States. For privacy reasons, detailed information ends with Generation No. 6 who are all deceased. Generation No. 7 includes 14 first cousins; No. 8 includes 29 second cousins; No. 9 includes 37 known third cousins. While I don’t yet have all of the details since I am still seeking out my distant cousins, I know that Generation No. 10 has already begun as well!
Descendant surnames include: Beavers, Bergmeister, Bordoni, Drucker, England, Hemmert, Horvath, Huey, Jacobs, Linnington, Mazur, Mullally, Pointkouski, Pries, Ross, Uva.
In addition to the descendants of Joseph and Marie Bergmeister, there are numerous Bergmeister descendants from other branches of this same family. Joseph’s brother, Ignatz Nicholas, also immigrated to the US. Although he died quite young, he had two children whose descendants I am trying to contact. In Germany, there are Bergmeister’s descended from Castulus Bergmeister (see Generation No. 4, child iii) living in Pfaffenhofen an der Ilm and Rosenheim.
There is at least one other Bergmeister family in the U.S. that has not yet been connected to the family above. Paul Bergmeister, b. January 1845 somewhere in Bavaria, a cheese dealer, and his wife Lena (or Mary Magdalene) immigrated to Philadelphia in 1871. Children included:
1. Frank, b. May 1872, m. Sarah McIntyre in 1896 (sons Francis P., William J.)
2. Frederick, b. 25 December 1873, m. Augusta Thoms in 1902 (son F. William or Willam F.)
3. George, b. 22 September 1875, m. Minnie Soehle in 1896 (sons William, Paul)
4. Lena (Magdalen), b. October 1877, m. George W. Montgomery in 1916
5. Annie, b. December 1881, m. John Bartman
6. Paul Joseph, b. 15 January 1884, m. Emma Soehle in 1907
7. Louisa M. , b. September 1888, m. William Barry in 1909
If Paul’s birthplace in Bavaria can be determined, these two families may be linked as the name is not very common.
If anyone else is researching the BERGMEISTER family, please contact me!
- Bergmeister family records
- Kirchenbuch, 1612-1900, Katholische Kirche Puch (BA. Pfaffenhofen), Film Number FHL INTL Film 1981574 Items 3-8
- Kirchenbuch, 1597-1880, Katholische Kirche Pfaffenhofen Ilm (BA. Pfaffenhofen), Film Numbers FHL INTL Film 816440 through 816441,
- 817542 through 817550, and 1958355 Items 4-6.
- Philadelphia Marriage Indexes 1885-1951, FamilySearch.org
I have several posts on this blog about the Bergmeister family, including more photos. See all posts labeled with the “Bergmeister” Surname category here. Enjoy your visit, and please leave a comment if you’re a Bergmeister!